The Trust was formed in September 1998 as a partnership project involving East Lothian Council, the John Muir Trust, Dunbar’s John Muir Association (now Friends of John Muir’s Birthplace) and Dunbar Community Council.
The aim of the Trust has been to secure the future of John Muir’s birthplace in Dunbar and to develop it as an interpretative centre focused on Muir’s work. The project was supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The John Muir Birthplace Charitable Trust (JMBCT) is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) SCO28244. Full details available from OSCR Scottish Charity Regulator.
Trustees are nominated by the partner organisations or co-opted by the board of trustees.
- Rob Bushby – John Muir Trust
- Will Collin (Treasurer) – Dunbar Community Council
- Cllr. Norman Hampshire – East Lothian Council
- Liz McLean – co-opted
- Cllr. John McMillan – East Lothian Council
- Duncan Smeed (Chair) – Friends of John Muir’s Birthplace
- John Thomas – John Muir Trust