Final 2 photos today from Sheila Sim’s ‘Gardens of East Lothian’ exhibition.
Greywalls lies adjacent to Muirfield golf course in Gullane; it was built by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1901 as a holiday home for its golf-loving owner, but is now a hotel. The formal gardens are laid out to the south of the house, giving framed vistas across to the Garleton Hills (just visible in this image) and Lammermuirs. The original garden design is attributed to Gertrude Jekyll, although definitive proof has never been found. The owners describe Greywalls as “a quintessential example of an Edwardian garden as a place to promenade, of secluded seating areas where assignations can take place and of tea, cucumber sandwiches and lemonade served on the lawn”.
Lauderdale Park in Dunbar is one of the many public spaces maintained by East Lothian Council, and this herbaceous border is something of a triumph; James, Jamie, Fraser and Kenny deserve some recognition for it. The park was originally the garden of the Earl of Lauderdale, whose head gardener George Brown was well known to John Muir’s grandfather. One of John Muir’s treasured memories of his childhood was of coming here with his grandfather, and feasting on apples and figs while the two older men chatted.