The John Muir Birthplace Trust (JMBT) was formed in September 1998 as a partnership project involving East Lothian Council, the John Muir Trust, Dunbar's John Muir Association and Dunbar Community Council. The aim of the JMBT has been to secure the future of John Muir's birthplace in Dunbar and to develop it as an interpretative centre focused on Muir's work.
- Will Collin, Dunbar Community Council (Treasurer)
- Liz McLean, Friends of John Muir's Birthplace (formerly Dunbar's John Muir Association)
- Cllr. Norman Hampshire, East Lothian Council
- John Thomas, John Muir Trust (Chair)
- Cllr. Michael Veitch, East Lothian Council
- Susan Wright, John Muir Trust
The Trust has succeeded in raising sufficient money to commence the work of transforming the birthplace of John Muir in Dunbar into a permanent focus for the life and work of one of Scotland's most significant sons. Work on the project began in Summer 2002, and the Birthplace opened to the public on August 23 2003. Fundraising continues for further developments and to finance the operation of the Birthplace.
The John Muir Birrthplace Trust is registered in Scotland as a private company, limited by guarantee, with no share capital. The company number is SC189003 and the registrered office is 128, High Street, Dunbar, East Lothian EH42 1JJ. Details about the JMBT can be found on the Companies House web site.